Sunday, January 6, 2013

Quilt pieces from the past.....

My brother was going through boxes that have been stored.  He found these bits and pieces of my grandmothers and sent them to me.


These stars I can remember her working on when I was a child.  (Hard to believe, 50 years ago!)
 
 
These are just some squares, the fabrics must have been from the early 50's and maybe even the 40's.

 
The piece of paper she used as a pattern was cut from an appointment page from my Great Aunts Health and Beauty Salon

I'm not really sure what quilt pattern this is......
 
She wrote pattern info on this pattern piece.

 
There was even a pair of embroidery scissors in the box.  The fabrics are old, guessing 40's.

 
Here she is piecing this piece together.  She used every possible scrap.

 
I'm not really sure how this quilt is suppose to go together.


 
These bowties seem to be older than any of the others, judging by the condition of the fabric.
 
 
And they are hand pieced


 
 
And again she pieced a block so she could get a square.


Now what to do with them!  There are 54 of the bowtie blocks--thought I might try and put them together.
 






 

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing find. To have those quilt pieces that your Grandmother sewed by hand is an absolute treasure. And that you have the memory of her working on some of them is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I think I've found a piture of what the block might look like for your mystery patches. Scroll down to the fourth section and look at the block on the far right in row two. Here is the link.http://www.americanlegacyquiltindexes.com/american_legacy6.htm

    ReplyDelete